Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Norse Up


With March Madness finally here, college basketball fans across the nation will be glued to their television sets as the best teams in the country battle it out for the right to be called national champions. I love March Madness and am a tournament junkie. I will try to watch every game simultaneously in order to make sure I do not miss a single second of the action. In the past, I have watched merely as a fan as the Louisville Cardinals, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, the Xavier Musketeers, and the Cincinnati Bearcats took to the hardwood in the national tournament. I root for all of those teams as a fan without any ties of my own to the universities that they represent. The college I attended had never qualified for the “big dance.”

I went to Northern Kentucky University from 2010 to 2014. During my freshman and sophomore years as an undergraduate, the athletic teams competed at the Division II level of the NCAA. They had some success as a D-II university as they won a few national titles in women’s basketball and a men’s soccer national championship my freshman year. Despite the successes, the fandom among students and those who lived around the university was not that great. The logos of other universities were a common sight, and the attendance at sporting events was usually pretty low.

That began to change toward the end of my sophomore year. The university announced that they would be moving up to Division I. They joined the Atlantic Sun conference and even qualified for the conference championship tournament in men’s basketball in their first year at the D-I level. They eventually moved to the Horizon League conference and qualified for that conference championship tournament as well. Even though they participated in conference tournaments, they were not allowed to participate in the national championship tournament for four years per NCAA rules after moving up to D-I. Any chance I had of seeing the Norse play for the national title in March would be as an alum and not a student.

So here we are in 2017 and it is NKU’s first season of national championship eligibility. Under the leadership of second year coach John Brannen, the Norse qualified for the Horizon League Conference Championship tournament as a 3 seed and went on a run that culminated in the school winning its first ever D-I conference championship for men’s basketball as well as qualifying for the national championship tournament. Words cannot describe how proud I am of my alma mater. As a student, nobody cared about Norse athletics. As an alum, Norse athletics are the current talk of the town.

Everybody wants an NKU conference championship shirt and finding one in stores is no easy task. The shirts hit stores last Thursday and sold out in hours. I had to order mine online form the NKU bookstore. Despite this minor inconvenience, I am still very excited to cheer on the Norse as they enter their first ever national championship tournament. I will be glued to a television screen hoping that the Norse become the 2017 Cinderella team. Maybe their magical season can culminate with them cutting down the net on April 3.

Norse up!



No comments:

Post a Comment