Monday, July 18, 2016

My All Time Favorite Wrestling Moment


If you have been a frequent visitor of my website or follow me on Twitter, then you know that I am a diehard fan of professional wrestling. I have been a fan ever since I was kid when guys like Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Rock were the top guys of the industry. I have watched tons of episodes of Raw and Smackdown and have seen numerous pay-per-views. I have seen matches that were duds and others that were thrillers, and I have witnessed moments and segments that have blown the roof off arenas. However, Money in the Bank 2016 produced the moment that is easily my all time favorite in my nearly twenty years of being a wrestling fan. That moment of course was Dean Ambrose successfully cashing in his Money in the Bank contract to become the new WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

Going into Money in the Bank, the two favorites to win the contract were Ambrose and Kevin Owens. I had predicted that Ambrose would win the contract after his feud with Jericho ended at Extreme Rules. However, Owens is the best heel in WWE today, and I began to think WWE would make him the winner. I like Owens and normally I would have been happy to see him win the contract, but Ambrose is my all time favorite wrestler so I was rooting for him to climb the ladder and grab the briefcase. Of course, the match came down to Owens and Ambrose battling atop the ladder and when Ambrose knocked off Owens and grabbed the briefcase, I was elated. I thought the night could not get any better...but WWE had a few more surprises.

The main event was a WWE World Heavyweight Championship match between Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns. The match was a very entertaining bout, and I thought that Reigns was going to retain his title. After Rollins countered a spear by Reigns into a pedigree, he hit another pedigree to pin Reigns cleanly and capture his second WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Rollins was celebrating with the belt, and I thought that was how the show was going to end. Then Ambrose’s music hit.

The arena exploded. I stood up out of my chair. The cameras showed the entrance, but there was no sign of Ambrose. The camera showed Rollins again when from out of nowhere, Ambrose appeared and smashed his Money in the Bank briefcase into the face of Rollins. He exited the ring, handed the referee the briefcase, and it was official. Ambrose was cashing in his Money in the Bank contract. I was ecstatic. The bell rang, Ambrose picked up Rollins, hit him with a Dirty Deeds, and pinned him to become the new WWE World Heavyweight Champion. I went crazy!

I was cheering and clapping as if I was there in person. I finally saw a world championship come to Cincinnati. The Reds have not a World Series since before I was born, and the Bengals have never won the Super Bowl, but Cincinnati’s own Dean Ambrose won his first ever WWE World Heavyweight Championship, and for the first time since 1990, Cincinnati has a world champion. I have never been more excited for a wrestling event in my life, and Ambrose winning the title is easily my all time favorite moment in professional wrestling. Even though the initial excitement has worn off, I am still thrilled that Ambrose is the champ. He is one of the few guys in WWE that I think deserves to be in the main event as the champion, and I can honestly say that this is the most interested I have been in professional wrestling in a long time.




No comments:

Post a Comment