Sunday, May 29, 2016

Graphing at Reds Games


Being a diehard sports fan, I usually try to collect everything that deals with sports. I collect sports cards, bobbleheads, and other types of memorabilia. One of my favorite things to collect are autographs. I try to get tons of things signed by Bengals players at the various Bengals shows I go to during the season, and I am currently working on getting the autographs of some of the FC Cincinnati players. Some of the most challenging autographs to get are from Reds players. There are only a handful of Reds shows before spring training, and Redsfest only comes once a year. That means I have to try and get Reds autographs at games, and that is easier said than done. In this post, I will discuss how I attain signatures from Reds players at games.

Before I head to the stadium, I make sure I pack my bag with things to get signed, usually baseballs, and a small bag of sharpies and pens. I always bring extra in case one of the writing instruments I bring with me runs out of ink.

The gates to the game usually open an hour and a half before the game starts so arriving early is key. Once I get to the stadium, I head over to the first base line and usually try to stand at the end of the aisle that is next to the camera well that is by the Reds’ dugout. I have found that you can usually get quite a few autographs in this spot as players walking on and off the field pass this spot and other times players will walk over from the dugout and into the camera well and sign for fans that way.

When players comer over, you have to your item ready with a pen, hold it out, and hope they sign. Sometimes a lot of players sign, and other times nobody signs. Some guys like Joey Votto and Jay Bruce rarely sign, and others like Zack Cozart and Brandon Phillips sign pretty frequently. It is all a matter of luck.

I have managed to get quite a few autographs from players at Reds games. Brandon Phillips, Todd Frazier, Shin-Soo Choo, Zack Cozart, Joey Votto, Billy Hamilton, and Raisel Iglesias among others have all signed things for me at games. It is fun trying to call players over and when you manage to get something signed, it’s a great feeling. I hope you found this post helpful and hopefully you can get some autographs the next time you go to a Reds game.

Happy graphing and go Redlegs!

No comments:

Post a Comment