Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Thank You, Daniel Bryan


No! No! No! While that was the sentiment of wrestling fans around the world on Monday night, the reality of the matter is that the “American Dragon” has hung up his boots for good. Daniel Bryan, one of the best in ring performers and one of the most popular wrestlers in WWE history confirmed his retirement during the final segment of Monday Night Raw due to medical reasons.

This news shocked me, and I am still stunned that the professional wrestling career of the greatest Cinderella story in WWE history has come to an end. I knew that he had a history of injuries and that he endured a lot of wear and tear during his days on the “Indy” scene, but he was so good in the ring that it looked like the pain had no effect on him at all. He was one of the most skilled in ring performers in WWE, and despite lacking charisma when he first arrived on the scene; he managed to capture the hearts of wrestling fans around the world by popularizing the word “yes” and growing a beard.

Bryan was one of the current crop of wrestlers in WWE that made it fun again. He changed the way people think of what a “WWE Superstar” is supposed to be by establishing one of the most genuine connections with an audience that I have ever seen. While he did not have the build of a stereotypical wrestler, he had that intangible “it” factor that demanded people’s attention. Fans around the world supported him by mimicking his “yes” cheer, booing the roofs off arenas when he was not being featured in certain matches and segments such as in the 2014 and 2015 Royal Rumbles, and by chanting “you deserve it” the night after he won the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania 30.

Bryan is easily one of my most favorite wrestlers of all time. I first came across him in a 2007 issue of “Pro Wrestling Illustrated” that documented his Ring of Honor Championship loss to Homicide. Three years later, I saw him on WWE NXT. While I thought it was strange that WWE made him switch his name from Bryan Danielson to Daniel Bryan, I was still happy to see him in WWE and watched as his popularity skyrocketed during his time with the biggest wrestling promotion on the planet. I was thrilled when he captured the United States Championship, and laughed as he and Kane joined forces to create the highly entertaining Team Hell No. I was one of his supporters during the “Yes Movement” and was ecstatic when he made Batista submit at Wrestlemania 30. I watched as he won an exciting ladder match at Wrestlemania 31 to claim the Intercontinental Championship, and I was at the shocking episode of Monday Night Raw when he vacated the title due to injury. I said that I hoped he would return to the ring soon. Unfortunately that will not be happening.

I am not happy about Bryan’s retirement, but I support it 100 percent. He has a life outside the ring that he needs to live and a family to start. I wish him nothing but the best as he starts a new chapter of his life. Thank you for entertaining me for nine years and taking the wrestling world on an unforgettable ride. Thank you, Daniel Bryan.






No comments:

Post a Comment