Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Olympics Are Awesome

With the Winter Olympics set to wrap up by the end of the week, I decided to write a short post on my thoughts on the Olympics as a whole. As all of you know, I love sports. Watching, reading, listening to, and following sports consumes most of my free time. I am a self diagnosed sports addict. That is why I love the Olympics.

For two weeks, the best athletes in the world come together to compete in sporting events. Political and religious differences are set aside all in the name of competition as sportsmanship and national pride reign supreme. A perfect example of this is the unified Korean women’s hockey team. Despite the political differences between the two countries, players are setting aside their difference to play hockey. While this feeling of unification may end as soon as the flames of the Olympic torch are extinguished, it is very refreshing to see the countries playing as one on the ice rink.

The biggest draw for me though is the nonstop sports coverage. Seemingly from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed, sports are on television. Whether it be winter Olympic favorites of mine such as hockey, snowboarding, speed skating or slope style skiing, I am always tuned in and cheering on Team U.S.A. I also make sure to watch obscure sports that only air during the two weeks the Olympics are on television. I love watching curling and all the Nordic skiing events as well as figure skating, luge, skeleton and bobsledding. Simply put, if the Olympics are on television, I am watching.

On a personal level, I like the summer Olympics more than I do the winter games. There are a lot more events during the summer Olympics, and I feel that those events are often more dramatic and exciting than the winter events. I still love the winter Olympics though and will be a little sad when they come to a close. Until then, I will continue to watch as much of the winter Olympics as I can while cheering on Team U.S.A.






No comments:

Post a Comment