Tuesday, January 30, 2018

So Where Exactly is the Stadium Going?


I woke up at 6:45 in the morning last Tuesday and immediately reached for my phone. I turned off its alarm, checked the traffic conditions, and opened the Twitter app. I typed “FC Cincinnati” into the search bar and started browsing for any hint of Major League Soccer expansion news. Instead of seeing the typical speculation and rumors regarding the MLS bid, the big story that everybody was talking about was how FCC may now build the stadium in the West End.

Needless to say, this elicited a big groan from me. I love FC Cincinnati and want to see them get into MLS, but I thought we had finished all the stadium location drama. With the league set to make an expansion announcement before the season starts in March, the clock is ticking for FC Cincinnati to finalize whatever rumored stadium snag is holding up their bid.

I thought the traffic study and the need for additional public funding for the infrastructure were the reasons why Don Garber has not yet visited the Queen City. With news of FCC still pursuing the West End, this makes me wonder if MLS does not like the Oakley site. I know Jeff Bearding has said that the Oakley site is a suitable location, but is it really? If it is, why is Bearding still saying that the other locations are still in play?

I know a lot of people are part of the “Build It Here” movement, which I think is totally stupid, but is building it north of the Ohio River worth FCC not securing the bid?  I have always thought and continue to believe that Newport is the perfect spot for the stadium. It definitely is close to an urban core and would be close to Paul Brown Stadium and Great American Ball Park. It is in walking distance from both the banks and the levee and the land is seemingly shovel ready.

So where is the stadium going? Nobody knows at this point. If you would have asked me before the 23rd of January, I would have said Oakley. Now I have no idea. I just want FCC to finalize the stadium plan. I don’t care if it is in Oakley, the West End, Newport, or my back yard, just cement the stadium plan and bring MLS to Cincinnati.










No comments:

Post a Comment