Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Draft Dodger


The 2017 NFL draft has come and gone, and I can honestly say that I barely watched it. Despite the hype and the amount of speculation that media outlets pour into the NFL draft every year, I spend maybe a grand total of two minutes actually watching it play out on television. The only time I make sure to tune in it is when my beloved Cincinnati Bengals are about to make a pick. Other than that, I could not care less about it.

Personally I do not understand its ability to lure in football fans. I find it boring. Don’t get me wrong. I love football. Every weekend during football season my eyes are glued to a TV as I watch either a college game or an NFL game. Games are exciting, get your blood pumping, and have been responsible for some of the greatest moments in professional sports. The draft on the other hand is just a glorified version of picking teams.

That is not to say that the draft doesn’t have its moments as the first few picks of the first round are the ones that people will remember as a team selecting either a future franchise cornerstone or a total bust. It is also a nerve-wracking experience for the players in the draft as they wait with baited breath to hear their name called by an NFL team. For a fan though, I think it’s boring

If you enjoy watching the NFL draft, more power to you. As for me, I will probably be watching a Cincinnati Reds game and will switch to the draft when the Bengals make a pick. It is what I have always done and will continue to do.





No comments:

Post a Comment