Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Honoring the Kid


It's rare that a team gives away a double bobblehead. It is even rarer for a team to give out a bobblehead that features another franchise. The Cincinnati Reds will do both of these in one evening when they give out a double Cincinnati Reds and Seattle Mariners Ken Griffey Jr. Bobblehead on May 21, 2016.

With Griffey Jr. being inducted into the Hall of Fame this year, it was pretty obvious that the Reds were going to capitalize on his induction. I figured they would simply give out another regular bobblehead of him, but I was blown away when they announced it would be a double bobble.

The double bobble makes perfect sense in that it displays Jr’s time with the Mariners, which was unquestionably the best playing days of his historic career, while also showing that he was a Red for nearly a decade. The bobblehead looks awesome, and I consider it different enough from my normal Reds Griffey Jr. bobblehead. I have my tickets, and cannot wait to add it to my collection.

Griffey Jr. was without a shadow of a doubt the best baseball player of my childhood, and his swing was nothing short of legendary. He thrived as a Mariner, returned home to Cincinnati to play for the Reds, and was an incredible reminder of how natural talent could easily outshine the controversy of the PED era in baseball. He was one of the few players who accomplished his home run milestones without the help of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, and his induction into the hallowed halls of Cooperstown is very much deserved. I can honestly say that the Kid is one of my all time favorite players, and I cannot wait to get one more bobblehead of him.

Congrats Jr! Go Redlegs!



No comments:

Post a Comment