Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Is It Worth It?


I love the Cincinnati Reds. They are my team when it comes to Major League Baseball. My parents instilled a love for the Redlegs in me when I was a kid, and my passion for this team has only grown since. I was with this team during the dark days when it looked like October baseball would never grace the Queen City again, and I was with this team when they walked off with the National League Central Division Championship in 2010 and when they ran away with it in 2012. I have seen guys like Ken Griffey Jr. and Barry Larkin forge their Hall of Fame legacies on the shores of the Ohio River, and I witnessed the rise of the “Cuban Missile” Aroldis Chapman, and the crowning of the Homer Run Derby King Todd Frazier.

I have seen a lot during my time as a Reds fan. Rebuilding, however, is a hard thing to watch. It is especially difficult when you consider how good the Reds were a few years ago. They made the playoffs, and it seemed like they were on the verge of breaking through and capturing their first World Series Championship since the 1990 season. That was not the case as those dreams were dashed when the front office realized that the team they had assembled was not quite good enough to win it all. Fan favorites left town, wins were outnumbered by losses, and the reconstruction of the Reds has officially begun. So after witnessing the rise and fall of the Reds of the 2010s, I have to ask if it is worth watching this team struggle as it looks to regain its former glory?

To sum it up: yes. It is worth watching this team struggle. Do not get me wrong. I want to see the Reds win every game they play and win the World Series. I will always have that sate of mind and will be angry when they play poorly and be excited when they play well and win. It is the fan in me that evokes that emotion. I also realize that this team is designed to win in the next few years and not now. I do not like it, but I know that this team will lose a lot of games and will look very bad at certain times during the season. The baseball analyst in me realizes that.

So why will I watch this team? I want to see them grow. I want to see this young crop of payers evolve into the next batch of Reds stars. This team is loaded with untapped potential. I have seen flashes of their talent, and if they can turn those flashes into sustained play game in and game out, then the future looks very bright for the Redlegs. This team will put it all together and become a winning franchise once again. It is only a matter of time.

So is it worth it? Absolutely.

Go Redlegs!






No comments:

Post a Comment