Thursday, October 22, 2015

When The Saints Go Marching Out


A few months ago, I wrote a post about FC Cincinnati and how excited I was to have another professional team to cheer for in Cincinnati. While discussing the newly arrived soccer team, I mentioned how I thought it would be cool if FC Cincinnati and the Cincinnati Saints, the other local soccer team that plays in the National Premier Soccer League, would play each other in some sort of scrimmage that would bring together Cincinnati soccer fans as well as promote both soccer teams. That will not happen though because the Cincinnati Saints announced last week that they will be ceasing operations in Cincinnati to look for a new city to call home.

The Saints have been in Cincinnati since 2009 and have really helped foster the growing love of soccer in the Queen City. They hosted World Cup watch parties at Fountain Square, and, in my opinion, their success is what ultimately led to FC Cincinnati being established. However, the founding of FC Cincinnati is what ultimately led the Saints to seek a new home city.

In an interview with Fox 19, Saints owner David Satterwhite said that the arrival of FC Cincinnati was too much to compete with and after speaking to supporters, sponsors, and players, the money to fund the team in Cincinnati was no longer there. As a result, the Saints are seeking a new place to call home with Dayton being mentioned as a possibility.

I am not a fan of the Saints leaving Cincinnati, but I understand why they are. FC Cincinnati is owned by wealthy businessman Carl Lindner III, and he has made it known that he plans on taking FC Cincinnati from the United Soccer League up to the highest ranked and most well known professional soccer league in America, Major League Soccer, in three to five years. With such ambitious goals already being set by FC Cincinnati before they have even taken the field for their first ever franchise game, the Saints would most likely get lost in FC Cincinnati’s wake if they do not relocate.

While I did not get to go to any of their games, I did have a good experience with the Saints when I got to meet a few of the Saints players at an episode of “Beyond the Stripes.” They had a soccer ball juggling contest with Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Mohamed Sanu. It was a very entertaining segment of the show, and it showcased the skills of the Saints players. They were also really nice and signed a few autographs for me. I was hoping to see them again at an episode of “Beyond the Stripes” this year, but with the announcement of relocation, that will no longer happen.

While I am not happy the Saints will no longer be in Cincinnati, I do understand why they decided to relocate, and I wish them nothing but the best of luck in finding a new place to call home. From now on, all my Cincinnati soccer support is with FC Cincinnati. They will continue what the Saints started, and hopefully it is not too long before FC Cincinnati brings an MLS Cup to the Queen City.

No comments:

Post a Comment